Thursday 26 September 2013

Best ever white cake!

I'm sure your confused by the fact I'm posting a very naughty cake recipe but I can explain, see what's the one day a year when cake is a must? A birthday! My birthday to be exact! Yes yesterday I turned the un-exciting number 22, don't get me wrong though when it comes to birthdays I'm always a sucker no matter what the number.

So due to the fact it was just me and Dan this year for my birthday I decided to continue my tradition from last year (I made the awesome crack pie!) and make my own birthday cake. Like always I was on a budget, 10 pounds exact down to the penny! Now really if you think about in a bakery you would fork out easily over 30 pounds for a good quality cake, so at 10 pounds frosting and all I think this is the perfect recipe!

Yes The heading is correct this is by far the yummiest white cake ever! It took me a good few weeks of internet surfing to find the perfect combo of white moist cake and fluffy frosting and after some last minute adjustments the end result was beautiful and highly addictive.

This is a layer cake so you'll need two 9 inch tins, but if you only have one tin you could always put the entire batter in and once baked simply cut it in half (baking time will vary).

Best ever white cake recipe-

2 1/4 cups of cake flour
1 cup of milk (room temp)
6 egg whites (room temp)
1 split vanilla pod (this is so worth the extra money trust me!)
1 3/4 cup of granulated sugars
4 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks of butter cubed

Preheat oven to 175 (350f). Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and set aside. Next mix milk, egg whites and the seeds from the vanilla pods in a separate bowl. Now grab the bowl with the flour and with a hand mixer beat in your cubed butter bit by bit until you have a wet sand consistency. Pour in your milk mixture now slowly bit by bit like your butter. You should have quite a wet batter, now pour evenly into tins and bake for 20 minutes or when the cake springs back when touched.

Now while the yummy cake is cooling lets whip up some icing!

Fluffy vanilla bean frosting-

3 sticks of salted butter
500g icing sugar
split vanilla bean
4 tbsp of cream
salt to taste (yes weird but true, when your making such a sweet icing it really pays to add a pinch of salt to cut through the sweetness)

Beat the butter until it goes white, this could take anywhere from a  few minutes to 8! But trust me in order to get beautiful white icing this is the most important step. Once you have the butter to the right stage add all your other ingredients and whip, whip and keep whipping! Keep whipping until its light and fluffy and you cant help but lick the beaters, this my friends is the perfect stage of fluffy awesomeness. Make sure you chill it for at least 30 minutes so its nice and easy to spread on the cake.

Now once the cake is completely cooled your ready to frost it up! As a special occasion be sure to make it nice and thick!



 As a decoration I made some hazelnut praline! It's so simple too make I just used a cup of sugar and cooked it dry till it turned into a golden syrup then I tossed my chopped hazelnuts in and poured it onto a sheet of baking paper. So easy to make and is a beautiful addition to any cake, plus it so cheap to make!


This cake was so amazing! It was moist and fluffy and the real vanilla pods just took this cake to a whole other level. I could talk about this cake all day so I should stop and let you be the real judge, trust me you wont be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment